Practical Bamboo Course and Apprenticeship Training:
Come and be part of our Hands-On Bamboo Skills Training in Belega (15-20 min from Ubud), the village of world-famous Bamboo Carpenters and Builders… become an unbeatable hands-on bamboo builder and learn about bamboo. We are constructing our Bamboo Long House (Dorm and Workshop Space).
This hands-on course and apprenticeship is for those who would like to familiarise themselves through gaining practical experience in bamboo building – from knowledge of design principles and “what works” with bamboo, to immersion in the hands-on experience of building, to become proficient in bamboo design, carpentry and joinery. We are also collaborating with Josh Geiger (Natural Building Director of True Nature Nusantara) to incorporate the insulative properties of natural building techniques with bamboo design.
Join this program to learn about basic bamboo design principles and truss method construction, bamboo interiors and flooring, roofing methods and materials, window and door-making, repurposing and up-cycleing materials, finishing and maintenance of bamboo structures as well as learning the “tricks of the trade” and unique traditional skills of artesian bamboo workers. Earth-building techniques of clay/lime-straw panels, wattle and daub and natural plasters are part of the program options (see below).
You can join for all or part of this program… Daily, Weekly or Monthly: Full-time (6 days a week) or Part-time (3 days a week), or on a daily basis.
Program Schedule and Pricing:
Week 1 & 2 – USD$685 / Rp.9,600,000
- PREPARATION and Theory Orientation (June 21)
- PRACTICAL Course – 2 Weeks : (June 22 – July 5) : 1st Build – Main Structural Design, Frames and Roofing: Making Trusses, Joinery and Curving bamboo, Bamboo Panels, Making Bamboo Nails and Tying Tali, Main Bamboo Building Construction, Pillars, Fish Mouth Joins, Metal Bolt and Bamboo Nail. Joining Roofing to Main Frame, Making bearers and joists (usuk) for roof structure, Roofing.
Week 3 – USD$350 / Rp.5,100,000
- PRACTICAL Course – 1 Week : (July 6 – July 12) : Hyperbolic Stairwell & Watertank Tower in collaboration with Josh Geiger
- THEORY – 2 day Online Bamboo Knowledge 101 – (July 18-19)
Week 4 & 5 – USD$685 / Rp.9,600,000
- PRACTICAL Course – 2 Weeks : (July 20 – August 2) : 2nd Build – Interior Fit-out: Interior Design, Walling and Window Design Techniques, Framing and Doors, Carpentry for Furniture, Roofing Installation, Bamboo Carving, Artesian Decorative Bamboo Techniques.
Week 6 – USD$350 / Rp.5,100,000
- PRACTICAL Course – 1 Week : (August 3 – August 9) Clay/Lime-straw insulation techniques in collaboration with Josh Geiger
- THEORY – 2 day online Bamboo Knowledge 101 (August 15-16)
Week 7 & 8 – USD$685 / Rp.9,600,000
- PRACTICAL Internship 2 Weeks (August 17-30): Apprenticeship Program – Mentorship and Personal Project: Time to refine your skills and work one-on-one with our craftsmen and learn more about bamboo carpentry and design – personal interest project mentorship. (Materials cost for personal projects not included)
1 week Program : USD$350 / Rp.5,100,000
2 week Program : USD$685 / Rp.9,600,000
3 week Program : USD$845 / Rp.12,300,000
6 week Program : USD$1550 / Rp.22,600,000
8 week (Full) Program : USD$2,235 / Rp.32,600,000
Register and Pay before June 18 to receive a 20% discount
We can’t wait to share this experience with you and have you join our program learning directly from the Real Bamboo Masters… alongside local families and experiencing the local culture of Bali!
Can’t make it to Bali right now? We offer an alternative course format: Join our Two-Day Theory and Intro Carpentry course online and then join us at a later time in Bali for your Hands-On Training in either Bamboo Construction, Bamboo Interiors and Installation/Design or Artesian Crafts and Traditional Bamboo Art (or combination). The online course (USD$110) will follow this build via closed Facebook Group – and secure a 20% discount rate for your Hands-On training program with us!
Next Online Bamboo Course
(July 18 – 19) or (August 15- 16) 11am to 4pm (GMT+8 Central Indonesia Time)
We host regular Internship programs where you can learn bamboo skills for individual projects and small-scale construction, bamboo art, traditional techniques and methods for design and crafting and interior design and furniture along with earth-building programs (with Josh Geiger – Natural Building Teacher and Designer) and up-cycled earthship-style affordable construction techniques. You can attend for the week (or longer than a week but must arrive on a commencement/training week) which includes basic carpentry training and Introduction to working with bamboo… see Internships page for more info.
We are an all-abilities project-space – also offering collaboration programs with local families for disability-inclusive small business projects. See our Revivement page or Contact us for information.
Long Course Online Study Option with our Outreach Programs
Follow our outreach journey to bring bamboo into the realm of sustainability for local people in “developing countries” by informing and facilitating wider knowledge of and examples of bamboo structures which are sustainable and affordable – Have input into the design processes for practical and affordable bamboo buildings at our Outreach Project sites – and access to all future online courses and programs starting with our traditional treatment process study on the costs/potential of this being an affordable and cost-effective treatment method.
Get Access to our Free Facebook Group and watch our Bamboo Dorm being built: https://www.facebook.com/groups/5443799475664816/?ref=share
We would love your support and contribution towards our ongoing study and documentation of practical processes for making affordable bamboo design accessible to local populations and contributing to a Regenerative culture of inclusion, transparency and fairness.
We offer a sliding-scale contribution approach to make this learning accessible to the everyone. Please communicate whatever way you feel you can pay/contribute and also offer your skills and time. Whether you’d like to contribute more physically through Skills/Labour in construction and/or professional sense or are interested to assist in developing aspects of our inclusive program for disabilities. We are committed to finding ways to collaborate which are mutually beneficial for everyone. You can pre-pay your program fully or partially to assist us in financing and preparations, ready for your arrival and participation… Email us at: email@example.com
Check out our Facebook page for our latest activities
Do YOU want to learn to BUILD from bamboo?
This versatile renewable fast-growing material that could help save our planet from resource depletion
What you’ll learn:
The 101 Bamboo Knowledge
- Selecting and Harvesting Bamboo; Maintaining Bamboo Clumps; Bamboo Treatment Methods
- Bamboo Tools and Safety – Knives and Tool maintenance
- Basic Bamboo Joinery and Carpentry Techniques – Cutting, Splitting, Carving/Shaping, Weaving and Joinery
- Bamboo Design Elements, Model-Making/ Miniatures; Concept of a Bamboo Structure; Costing a design.
- Onsite Construction, – Aspects of Bamboo Construction including Site Planning and Foundations.
- Carpentry Techniques – Bundling Bamboo (Bamboo Lidi), Bamboo Flooring; Bending Bamboo and Bamboo Roofing
- Long term Maintenance and protection of a Bamboo Structure; Protecting the bamboo/Finishing/Post Construction maintenance and longevity,
On top of that we’ll tell you the SECRET of our tiny house bamboo design…
At Bamboo Creative, it isn’t just about construction, We are also looking at systems for the tropics that can help:
1. Reduce waste and Redirection of plastic throw-away
2. Lessen the need for Power consumption; Earth-friendly systems
3. Small Space/Urban Vertical Gardening for Food production
4. Grey-water systems and Energy from Human Waste
5. Education and Outreach to promote earth-friendly lifestyle practices and uptake of bamboo in developing countries
6. Affordable Practical Design and Construction Methods and Material Sources that could also be applied in “western countries”
Approaching a zero waste economy and community
Bamboo Creative wants YOU – to be the change!
As the founder of Bamboo Creative, I am passionate about natural building and design, experimentation, raising awareness and sharing skills that can make building bamboo homes sustainable, affordable and accessible – especially for People LIVING IN “developing countries” who make up around 70% of the global population of our planet. I have been learning about bamboo for the last five years through this construction project in Bali where I am creating an Eco-activity Community Centre inclusive of special needs and facilitating carpentry, craft-making, eco-building and product design using recycled/reclaimed trash, bamboo and earth-building techniques.
Have a question?